Set on 12+ picturesque acres (*additional acreage available), Waverly Mansion is a historic landmark and a superb equestrian facility MINUTES TO DC & ANNAPOLIS. Built in 1855 by the prosperous tobacco grower, John W. Burroughs, this elegant Italianate Victorian, a rare remaining example of period ~Big-House~ two-staircase design, is richly appointed with high ceilings, elaborate moldings and medallions, classic marble mantels, original wood paneling and floors, and more. A grand entry hall with a magnificent 3-storey flying staircase opens to dual formal parlors, a formal dining room, and a gourmet kitchen. The bedrooms are unusually spacious , including a luxurious master-suite with spa-bathroom, a walk-in closet, and utility room. With rolling hills, pastoral vistas, and every amenity for the horse enthusiast, this private horse training facility is first class and Waverly Mansion is a home of rare and beautiful distinction.The equestrian facility and grounds include stables with 12 stalls, 2 of which also serve as run-ins, plus a roomy indoor washing area, an owner's tack room, a boarders~ tack room, a tenant/barn manager apartment, and various outbuildings, including a small animal barn, as well as the original smoke house and summer kitchen mirroring the architecture of the house. The numerous paddocks have board fencing and run-ins, and there is a dressage arena with professional footing and drainage to USDF specs.Located in the protected Rural Tier, Waverly stands adjacent to Patuxent River Park, comprising 6,000 wooded acres and miles of glorious horse-riding trails. A spectacular historic home and excellent horse boarding/training facility, in a privileged location for both city life and equestrian pursuits, Waverly cannot easily be matched in the DC area.
Single Family, Victorian
2 Full/1 Half
Other, Electric Water Heater, Well
5,460 sq. ft
Yes - 2 spaces
Prince George's County Public Schools
Detailed Room Information
- Family Room, Kitchen, Laundry Room, Living Room, Sitting Room, Foyer, Attic
- Dining Area
- Bath Description
- Whirlpool Bath
- Square FootageAbove (approx)
- 5,460 Sq. Ft. Above Ground. Sq. Ft. Below Ground.
- Disposal, Dishwasher, Dryer, Exhaust Fan/Hood, Ice Maker, Gas Range/Cooktop, Washer, Refrigerator, Range Hood
- Central Air, Electric, Ceiling Fan(s)
- Electric Heating. Heat Pump, Forced Air, Zone.
- Entrance Outside
- 10. Mantle.
- Security System
- Additional Interior Features
- Attic Storage, Built-Ins, Built-Ins, Crown Molding, Chair Rail, Wood Floors, 9Ft+ Ceilings
Exterior / Lot Features
- 2 Garage Spaces. Circular Driveway.
- Lot View
- Trees/Woods, Pasture
- Board Fence
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Out Building, Shed, Paddock, Additional Lot(s). Rural.
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price